Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Non Alcoholic Drinks in Pubs

It is a small issue but one that annoys me no end - the lack of availability of non-alcoholic drinks in pubs. Now I have recently (don't ask me why or how I don't know but my Doctor tells me it can happen to any one at any time) developed an allergic reaction when I drink alcohol. I mean a really bad one which starts after about 2 sips and gets worse if I persist with even one measure up to and including swelling, cramps and lots of other unpleasant consequences. So needless to say I have been avoiding alcohol like the plague.

Hence I have been in many pubs of late ordering non-alcoholic drinks and I am really getting browned off with the lack of choice. Yes there is coffee - but it only lasts so long hot and you couldn't drink it all night! Yes there is/are non-alcoholic beers but I don't like beer. After that you're down to your cokes/orange juices/ginger ale etc. etc. all of which I certainly get fed up drinking and which I don't consider to be adult drinks as they're simply too sweet.

From my shopping forays I know that supermarkets offer a wide variety of much more pleasing (to me anyway) non-alcoholic drinks from Amé to Schloer and loads of others with Elderflower or spices or whatever you're having youself. And my question is: why can't they be on offer in pubs? I am sick of coffee and coke and I don't see - especially with the growth of non-drinkers as a result of the drink driving limits - why the pubs cannot expand the range they have available.

I often go to the cinema with my girlfriends and afterwards we generally head somewhere for a drink and a chat. We are all driving off in different directions and as a result none of us are drinking alcohol. But the range of drinks available to us is therefore very narrow.

Please please pubs. Can you expand the range of non-alcoholic drinks that you serve? I love the ambience of pubs but am getting so tired of the lack of choice that I'll probably start heading home straight after the cinema!!! Surely it would even make economic sense?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kinds of nonalcoholic beverages would suit you? Are you seeking nonalcoholic beers, or do you prefer nonalcoholic, fancy, mixed beverages with the tiny umbrellas which can be ordered, and have always been available, as "virgin" concoctions. Sparkling water is an excellent substitute for a pint of Guinness, although, not quite as satisfying to some palates. Be advised that even the nonalcoholic beers can contain up to 1/2 of 1% ethanol.

Cllr Mary Roche, Waterford said...

Nope not beer. Said in article I don't like beer. Water? Boring all night. I mentioned Amé which would be perfectly acceptable to me. Widely available in supermarkets: a blend of orange and grape juices in sparkling water and herbal extracts.
M

john delaney said...

I find orange juice mixed with sparkling ballygowan to be very refreshing and also a healthy alternative to coke.

Cllr Mary Roche, Waterford said...

Sounds nice John. Will try it thanks. Mary

Basset Certification said...

Hey Mary! I also have those kinds of allergic reactions to any alcoholic drinks. Although unlike you I'm not avoiding drinking alcoholic beverages. My friends do say that in time my body will accept it and lessen the allergic reaction. Well I think it will take time if I do that but that's not the deal why I still drink. I think I just like drinking cocktails. I'm not much of a beer fan.