Monday, February 28, 2011

University Here We Come.....?

I must say I welcome the change demanded here in Waterford - as evidenced by our historic selection of 3 new TD's in the General Election. I am delighted that they are all articulate, capable, bright, tuned-in and, largely, young and energetic. I am also especially delighted that we now have our first woman elected to the Dáil in this constituency in a mighty mighty long time. Fair play to Ciara Conway, John Deasy, Paudie Coffey and John Halligan.

Now the fun starts. Now the hard works starts. Now the expectations of jobs, EU deals, stimulation and whatever-you're-having-yourself starts for our four and every other TD elected.

And Waterford still has a lot of needs. We have the highest unemployment levels - truly startling. We have had very little in the way of new jobs in a decade. We still don't have a University.

But on that last one I can surely rest a little more confident than before. Surely with THREE Government TD's (assuming Eamon actually listens to his answerphone messages) in the constituency - all from parties who have committed publically and proudly about their pro-University of the South East status - surely we can now be assured of the delivery, at last, of that self same promise?

Surely we can expect to see that committment published in the programme for Government which will, no doubt emerge over the next few days. I, for one, remain confident. I, for one, remain hopeful. I look forward to perusing the document and being able to know that at last, a national Government understands that the South East needs equality on this issue not just for our benefit but so that we, as a region can play our part in the rebuilding of Ireland Inc. We need it so that we can become contributors and drivers in the fight to restore our small but great nation to its rightful place as a Country of innovation, drive and creatitivity. We want to be able to play our part.

Until I hear differently (hopefully never) I will be assuming all of the above. And I remain, as I said, confident.

Meanwhile, the people have opted for change. They have opted to punish those they saw as responsible for our plight. They have chosen to fell those who once saw themselves as mighty. Let us hope that everyone has seen and heard. Let us hope we have no more arrogant, insular Governments populated by those who saw themselves as somehow superior to, and knowing more than, the rest of us little people. Let us hope that the message of Government 'in the interest of and at the will of the people' will have been noted and that we can now look forward to a time when our interests and not those of particular parties or interest groups are looked after. If that happens then we will have had a particularly good weekend just gone.

Lets be positive and give Enda his chance. The man surely deserves that and our four new TD's surely deserve the same. I, for one, will not be part in pulling them down before they've even had the chance to make a difference. I hope they do make a difference. I sincerely hope it. I wish them well and I look forward, on this lovely Spring day, to a brighter future for Waterford, the South East and, of course, for Ireland. If she wins, we win. Good luck to all.

No comments: